"So what happened?"
June 27, 2011
[caption id=”attachment_473” align=”alignleft” width=”150” caption=”Where'd he go?”][/caption] So everyone’s been saying, “It’s good to see you running again.” And believe me, it’s good to be running again, but they almost always follow up with a, “So what happened?” I can’t blame them really. One day I’m kicking along in top gear, the next, I’m gone from the face of the planet. For me, this happens sometimes. Work really got me down this time. I was working 60 hours a week every week and that’s pretty much all I was doing. I was just plain wore out when I got home and usually spent my weekends catching up on sleep. My food choices got to be horrendous and I tacked on 25 lbs from my weight in early February.
Fortunately, things started to turn around. Management decided that they were paying too much in overtime, so they put a cap on our hours to just 40 per week. Once this was implemented, my mood greatly improved and I started waking up to the fact of how much I’d let myself go. Having taken all my “fat” pants to Goodwill last year, it was getting to the point where I was going to have to either buy bigger pants, or lose weight. Weight loss won out in that equation. In late May I began running again. It was slow and painful, but I did it. By mid June I had decided that it was time to start counting calories again. Things are finally starting to get back on track after my major derailment.
So here’s an update on my goals that I posted earlier in the year. Some things will be out the window as I’ve just waited to long in the year to get going on them, but others have already been attained or are still attainable.
- Reach my goal weight of 160 lbs (lose 60 lbs) - I’ve actually gone backwards on this. My new goal is to be below 200 lbs before October 15.
- Run 840 miles for the year - It will be difficult, but I think I can actually do this one so it is still on the table.
- PR in the 5K, 10K, and half marathon distances - PRed the Tom King 5K.
- Develop and execute a non-running exercise routine - Not much progress here although I’ve started doing push ups recently. Just 10 a day for a week and then 20 a day starting tomorrow.
- Update this blog at least once a week - Fail! But going forward, I can still do this one.
- Eat more veggies - Er, are chicken wings and ice cream veggies? I ate a lot of those. Again, I will be working on this one going forward.
- Eat less fast food - My restrictive food budget should cut this out going forward.
- Visit a state I’ve never been to - Probably not going to happen. This will be something I can do next year maybe.
- Pay off my credit cards and close the accounts - Got one paid off and working on number two. Number three will probably be next year.
- Learn about meditation - Working on it.
- Read at least one book a month - Not sure about this one. Another one to work on going forward.
- Spend less time on the internet - Another fail. I think I need to spend more quality time on the internet writing blog posts and less time just watching Youtube videos.
- Develop a love life - I’m trying, but my social ineptitude is a constant bother.
As you can clearly see, I have a long way to go on all of these goals and only half the time to accomplish them. Some are toast already, but others can still be salvaged. I will continue to work on all of them and update this blog with the details. I hope that when I do my year end recap, most of these will be in the accomplished column. And as always, feel free to email me with advice, encouragement, accountability checks, or constructive criticism. All correspondence will get a reply (unless you are a creepy stalker, non-creepy stalkers are okay).